Monday, August 26, 2013

"We all romanticize the people we adore"

So true.



My good friend, Juncal, whom I know since we were in our early teens, 
started a new life yesterday.
After spending 10+ years apart,
we were lucky enough to live in the same city during the past four years,
and, yesterday, we had to say good-bye, once again.

Over the past month, I wondered how I was going to take Juncal's departure.
We would walk around NYC and people would ask if we were sisters...
so I knew it wasn't going to be easy to see her go, 
but I didn't exactly know or
even want to think about the moment after the good-bye.

Well, like all heart-felt good-byes, 
it wasn't easy to see her close the door
of what at times was our apt in the west village,
jump in the yellow taxi cab
and see her disappear in the traffic of 7th ave.

People have asked if I was sad, and obviously I am.
Very much. 
But above all, 
I feel a huge absence around me
that is bigger than yesterday's good-bye.

The truth is that regardless of the reason
 since I arrived in this city 8 years ago, 
I have seen more people come into my life
and go as never before...
and the effects are starting to have an impact on me.

Not sure how to describe the feeling 
but it's like the old tree that stands there over the years, 
seeing generations pass and the seasons
go through it.

To feel how "pasajero" - we would say in Spanish - everything is
frightens me.

Juncal, 
this one is for you.
In remembrance of the past four years
and those times we experienced in New York
and that we know we will not experience again....



BUT
"All endings, are a beginning to something new, 
and potentially great."

Good luck in your new endeavors.

Muacas for you.

XOXO for the rest.

1 comment:

  1. Silvia, la de lagrimillas que me haces echar con tus posts, instagrams, twits. Todas las que no eché al cerrar la puerta de casa. Miss you tones already. Mil muacas desde Madrid.

    ReplyDelete