Friday, March 8, 2013

Three Generations

Over the years, I've come to embrace and appreciate the importance of today
 - International Women's Day - 

The day is loaded with different meanings
and as you know I usually take a strong stand on the issue.

This year,
when I think and hear of Women's Day
what resonates the most
is this image.

I introduce you to the Founding Women of my life.
Three generations of them.

I have no doubt that I am who I am because of them.

I respect and owe each of them deeply
and will always be thankful to them.


On the front, from left to right
my sister and my mom
On the back, from left to right
my great aunt's best friend, my gorgeous grandma, me, and my great aunt.

It's pretty amazing that everyone with our own personal expressions, 
a product of our experiences and specific time in life,
is looking at the camera.

It was taken in the summer of 1983, I suspect.

The message that I would like to pass on for this year's Women's Day
is encapsulated in this image.

As cliche as it might sound,
an image is worth a thousand words 
and its meaning resides in the eye of the beholder
so I will leave it there,
for you to enjoy
and take what makes most sense to you.


To all women in my life and to those whom I might not know but
are reading this post
Happy Women's Day.

Feel proud of who you are.
Live fiercely and love passionately.

I will close with a quote
that resonates with part of the message that I tried
to convey today:

"Don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance, 
or my kindness for weakness"

Love, 

Sil

No comments:

Post a Comment