Thursday, November 10, 2011

Love, Sex and Silk Robes

One of those albums...

Adanowsky x Devendra Banhart


The Indie Lounge Lotharios On Love, Sex and Silk Robes

Worldly troubadour Adanowsky, AKA Adan Jodorowsky, and psych-folk balladeer Devendra Banhart share their languid love song “You are the One,” a preview from Jodorowsky’s forthcoming album Amador (Spanish for “lover”). The lush, multilingual tour de amore was produced by Phoenix’s Robin Coudert, mixed by frequent Banhart cohort Noah Georgeson, and inspired by a painful breakup. “I was sad and I needed to feel something good in me. Amador is a guy who is living from the heart,” says Jodorowsky, a Mexico City resident who was raised between South America and France. “I’m not a hippie. I’m just trying to feel something.” The son of famed Chilean surrealist filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky, the cabaret-inclined frontman and multi-instrumentalist counts the record as his US debut and his second release worldwide. “This album is a transition. It’s about someone leaving sadness to go into happiness.”


Adan Jodorowsky: So, Devendra. The last time I saw you was in Mexico. You were deejaying rap.

Devendra Banhart: Yeah. You were deejaying too. You were playing strictly lounge music and were in silk fireside slippers. Once upon a time that was an elegant sartorial move for any man of fine tastes and exotic haberdashery. And you were wearing a smoking jacket and there was a pipe.

AJ: When I was in Paris, I listened to Devendra’s album Niño Rojo a lot while making love to a woman. So I thought, “Wow, this guy is a genius! He gave me some incredible orgasms.” I wrote him and said, “Do you want to do something with me?” I waited for three weeks for a response and I thought you were never going to respond.

DB: I never respond quickly. That was the quickest I’ve ever responded.

AJ: I went to Los Angeles, came to your house, and you opened the door and grabbed my ass!

DB: I thought I had ordered you off the internet.

AJ: You were really nice. You were like, “You are like my cousin. We are the same size, we have the same pants.” People think we’re real cousins. We used to have the same pants, but not anymore…

DB: Well, you know. The 60s was a crazy time. I hate to bring up your father, but I will. He writes comic books because a lot of the things you can do in a comic book you can’t do in film. Moebius taught him to draw. I still have that drawing of his. It’s a drawing of a primitive man from the future eating a giant hot dog. It’s amazing. I think we approached the song that way; like what does the song look like? You make up a story. I’m pretty sure [the song’s inspiration] had to do with guys on their knees and we took it from there.

AJ: Yeah, I remember it like that. It’s true. It was really easy. It’s not very simple to collaborate with people; there are egos. But this time there were no egos. It was nice.

DB: That’s the thing. It’s really rare to find people [with whom] you can start a conversation speaking and continue the conversation playing music.

AJ: We had the idea to do an album together but you don’t have time and I have little time.

DB: I need to learn how to play music and sing first.




No comments:

Post a Comment