Thursday, March 1, 2012

Oh, Wow...

Today I had the enormous honor to meet activist, artist
and source of inspiration
Harry Belafonte.



Since 4PM (EST) that the meeting ended
I have been thinking how I was going to share the moment with you.
I am sorry to say that it is close to midnight and I still haven't figured it out,
so I apologize in advance for what it might be a content-less post.

I could give you an account of his impressive trajectory
as a singer, an actor, a producer, an activist or a humanitarian
but I don't want to do it
mainly because it would make the post insanely long.

Instead, what I will do is share a few reflections
of what I took out of my hour and a half with Mr. Belafonte,
and leave you with the option of reading his autobiography
or watching his autobiographic film (both titled, Sing your Song) at your pleasure.

He reminded me how short life is and how incredibly wonderful and rich life can be.
How we get lost, find excuses to not fight for our dreams and beliefs,
and end up taking the easy path -
even when we know that it won't lead us to happines.

He reminded me that we all, regardless of where we live, where we come from or who we are,
are unique catalyst for change.
That we have the power to become who we want want to become 
live the lives that we want to live
and make meaningful contributions to our world.

He reminded me that we have choices
that we can make things happen
even  when we encouter the strongest resistance.


I hope I can keep these reminders with me.


Good night.







No comments:

Post a Comment