Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Is this what we call equality?

Today was characterized by 
the extraordinary large number of gender references that I came across,
so I feel pretty much obliged 
to dedicate this post to the topic.

I woke up to the news that 
Saudi women will not need a male guardian
to run or vote in the municipal elections in 2015.  

While I first took the news as positive, 
 I was soon after shocked by the fact that this was in fact news 
and became even more shocked 
when I was reminded that
contemporary Saudi women cannot travel, work, study abroad, marry, get divorced or gain admittance to a public hospital without  permission from a male guardian.

While I was still digesting this,
I ironically stumbled upon an article in The Washington Times
reporting on Obama's new "national action plan"
aimed at giving women a bigger role in resolving conflicts around the world 
cause as the President states
"women can make the world more peaceful."

Yet, we women still feel the need to
build educational institutions dedicated to
illuminating the role of women in transforming society 
and our contributions to the social, cultural, economic and political life.

Coincidentally I was then forwarded a video 
in which Daniel Craig
undergoes a makeover as he puts himself in a woman's shoes
as part of a gender campaign initiated by Annie Lennox.




These were just a few of the references received in one day


So I ask, how can we still argue that we are equal?

When are news about men having the right to vote news?

When does a president need to launch an action plan to give a bigger role to men? 

Why does in 2012 Daniel Craig need to put himself in a woman's shoes ?

No comments:

Post a Comment